Post Op Instructions
- Your surgical wound is covered by a “splash proof” dressing. Try not to immerse it in water otherwise the wound may take longer to heal. When showering, stand with your other non-operated side in the stream of water and “flannel wash” your affected side.
- The stitches are buried and dissolving. There are no stitches to be removed.
- After 10 days your wound should have healed such that the dressings can be removed. The surgical wound can then be immersed in water.
- You can either remove the dressing yourself or arrange a wound care appointment 10 days after the operation with either with your GP Practice Nurse, or with the ward staff at Spire Bushey, whichever is easier.
- If there is any ‘discharge’ from your wound, contact me and/or your GP as soon as possible.
- You will be discharged with pain relieving medication(s). Take them as directed on the label.
- Try to avoid taking additional medications as it may interact with those already prescribed.
- The use of ice to reduce inflammation can be helpful following the operation. This can either be in the form of a CryoCuff or alternatively ice packs or a Gel Pack purchased at a chemist.
- The Cryocuff (Ice jacket) can be cooled / frozen in your own freezer. It is particularly helpful after exercises and there is no limit on how often you use it. However, do not apply it directly to the skin and always wear a T-shirt beneath it.
- For your operation to be a success, physiotherapy is essential.
- You can choose to have this anywhere of your choosing, or alternatively it can be arranged for you at Spire Bushey.
- Upon attending your first out-patient physiotherapy session, at Spire or with your chosen therapist, please present to them the Physiotherapy Protocol that I will have given you on the day of your discharge. This will ensure that your physiotherapist is fully informed about the nature of your operation and the exercises that I want them to follow to ensure a good outcome following your operation.
- Unless told otherwise, remove the body belt of your sling 24hrs after your operation.
Your next appointment
My practice manager will contact you in the next few days to conform your first follow up appointment, which is usually approximately three weeks after your operation date. If you prefer, you may call my office yourself to arrange the appointment.